Search This Blog

The Texas Chapter

My photo
My name is Nicole and I am new to the South! Getting here was quite an ordeal, but I'm finally here! Safe and sound! In the up coming weeks, I would love to share with you the many adventures of my housewife/motherly failures! Don't be discouraged just yet, they usually come with a side of laughter. So enjoy my blogs and let me know what you think sometimes!

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Aftermath

"You should treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat trivialities as if they were a disaster."  -->Quentin Crisp
   Slowly I have been learning to live by this quote.  Funny that this is the first time I have heard it.  Anyways, a couple of weeks ago there was the big government freeze scare about having our pay cut temporarily and all that jazz.  Well, my loving husband and I didn't agree with it by any means, but we didn't freak out about it.  We had issues with our pay back in January (some smarty in AK had put him down as AWOL even though we were on orders and he showed up to work every single day) and ever since we have had money in place just in case something were to happen to our pay for a few months.  Now, some of it would be on credit (we're not that far into our plan), but the bills would have been paid.  I don't know about you, but my FB page was flooded with outrage from friends about this ordeal.  Yes, it is a big deal.  Yes, it is an outrage.  Yes, it is our place to speak up and tell our government when they are in the wrong.  But ever since Obama post-poned the final decision for a week later, nothing else popped up.  So in order to prepare financially for what was to come, I searched through the web and FB trying to see what the final decision was.  Finally I found my answer on the DFAS FB page.  So my question to all of you, my dear faithful readers, is why do so many people speak up when we're on the virge of "disaster" but when the dust clears, all is silent?
     I suppose I just found this interesting.  Had I posted about it, I'm sure that once I found my answer that all is good for now, I would have posted something about being relieved that we wouldn't have to use up our financial life-lines on a government "budget" issue.  Seriously.  Who does that?  Still blows my mind that our friends in AK who are heading to Afghan soon received letters telling them that even if they don't get paid, they are still required to deploy.  Makes me sick that the government thought far enough ahead about this to send out letters.  At least it looks like it didn't go through for now.
    
     On to other news: I started my daily devotional today.  It's about time, really.  I have been preparing for this for a few months now.  Why is it that all too often God is given the back seat?  I'm wrong in doing so, but I feel as though I'm on the right track now.  Things are looking up for us.  We've been spending a lot of time with one of B's co-workers (and new best friend!) and his pregnant girlfriend.  It has been wonderful.  His friend loves ALL sports just as much as he does.  As some of you know, B loves to cook an try out new recipes.  This friend does too!  So I have been eating A-MAZING food!  And his girlfriend is really sweet.  She's in the Army too, she's a nurse in the labor and delivery recovery ward. 
     He's one of the few people B has met with more time in country than he has.  B has 44 months, and I think his friend mentioned that he has 48 months.  Those are both crazy amounts of time to be in another country being shot at, blown up, etc. 
     I thank God everyday for bringing B home to me safe through all those deployments.  And I'm so thankful that he won't be deploying anytime soon.

Sorry, got off on a tangent.  Well, before I wrap this up, I have a fun fact for ya'll!  When pink and blue were originally assigned to genders, it was reversed!  Pink was for boys because red was a masculine color and pink is a derivitive of it.  Blue used to be feminine because it was the color used for the Virgin Mary.  So add that to your "tough enough to wear pink" t-shirt stock pile!

Thanks for listenin'!

Wonderful Me
"There's no disaster that can't become a blessing, and no blessing that can't become a disaster." -->Richard Bach

No comments:

Post a Comment