Search This Blog

The Texas Chapter

My photo
My name is Nicole and I am new to the South! Getting here was quite an ordeal, but I'm finally here! Safe and sound! In the up coming weeks, I would love to share with you the many adventures of my housewife/motherly failures! Don't be discouraged just yet, they usually come with a side of laughter. So enjoy my blogs and let me know what you think sometimes!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Silence


"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'" - Mary Anne Radmacher
     I have been MIA for a while now.  I apologize for disappearing without notice.  Life in the Military is...hard.  My life as of late can be described as a long beaded necklace.  Each bead represents another area of my life/emotions/reality.  And one day someone came along and just cut the string.  Now I am scrambling around trying to grab all the beads as they scatter a hundred different directions.
     Everything I knew to be fact now appears to be a suggestion.  The man I know and love is hurt, sick, lost, and unrecognizable.  He wears the mask I fell in love with.  Who is this person I fall asleep next to at night?
    I caught a glimpse of my husband, my soldier a few weeks ago.  A flash of someone familiar.  And just as quickly he disappeared.  Now I sit by helpless, lost, confused.  Making important, life-altering decisions has become an impossible task.  Just when I think I've had enough and I'm done, I'm pulled back by my love for him.  You set up boundaries and guidelines that typically are upheld to the highest degree, but then a secret stalker whispers in your ear.  PTSD.  Brain trauma.  Three deployments.  Seeking help.  Don't leave.
     Hush-hush is the typical response.  Family torn apart, but expected to keep a stiff upper lip.  No one needs to know that our family is hurting, that we're struggling.  And why?  Rank.  Career.  Job stability.  Gossip.  Judgement.  Or as my grandfather used to say, "Don't air your dirty laundry in public."
    Suffering in silence isn't possible for me anymore.  My family is hurting.  And the beads just keep falling. 
     And just when I need God the most, I feel utterly alone.

     Thank you to my friends and family who have listened to me, comforted me, and offered up support without judgement.  I love you, and I am greatful to have you in my life. 

    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these."
George Washington Carver


Thanks for listenin!

2 comments:

  1. I think of you constantly, Nicole. I just can't imagine what you're going through. I've been trained to remain neutral in a counseling setting, but it's just a whole different ball park when I hear my friend in so much pain and turmoil. Only you can decide what is best for you and your family. I hope that is the message that I've relayed to you over the last few weeks. Everyone may have their opinions but ultimately it's about you.
    I'm praying for you. It always helps me to pray when I'm going through difficult times- even when I feel as if God is so far away.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been a wonderful support for me since the very begining. Thank you for being such an incredible friend. I miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete